QED Naval has been working with many different strategic partners within the development of the Subhub project who include:
Financial and Commercial Partners
- Scottish Enterprise – SMART Team have supported the feasibility study of Subhub along with the ongoing R&D project. The have also provided business support grants
- ETP – supported the Flowave tank testing
- Kelvin Capital – Supported QED through the SMART R&D project accessing business angel funding alongside co-investment funds from SIB.
- Scottish Investment Bank – Co-investment partners with Kelvin Capital
- DC Consulting – Corporate investment advisers and strategic business planning
- Energy Technology Partnership (ETP) – Provided support for the Flowave tank testing
- Renewable Risk Associates (RRA) – Manage the risk portfolio for QED Naval and the Subhub project.
QED Naval is a platform developer and Subhub is generally tidal turbine agnostic so they can work with any of the different turbine developers including:
- Tocardo Tidal Turbines – have supported the QED Naval through the detailed design stage of the Subhub Community Scale prototype.
- Schottel Hydro – In the early stages supported QED Naval they provided all their turbine performance data for model scale tank testing and present the Subhub as one of their platform deployment options to customers.
- Nova Innovation – have provided QED Naval with a letter of support for the Subhub deployment technology and expresses interest in deploying an all Scottish supply chain solution for community scale tidal turbine projects up to 300kW.
- Andritz Hydro Hammerfest – working together to develop a utility scale Subhub to suit their version 2 tidal turbine.
- Simec Atlantis – promoting their AR2000 into the French market.
- Cimpina – built the Subhub Community Demonstrator in Belfast, Norther Ireland.
- AJS Production– built the Cross Beam support structure for the tidal turbines which are fitted to the Subhub Community Demonstrator. They also built the Subsea Manifold enabling the remote control of the Subhub.
- Pentland Precision– built the Subhub Operations Model which was a 2t model that proved the stability, installation and retrieval methods and ballast systems .
Supply Chain Partners
- PowerFlow Solutions – provided all the hydraulic and pneumatic systems on the Subhub including HPU and pressure control cabinets
- Johnson Valves – Provided all the actuator valves for the seawater inlets and vent valves.
- Sensor Solutions – Provided the data acquisition system and waterproofing pods.
- Hydrogroup – main export cabling and connectors from the turbines
- Vega Instruments – Pressure sensors
- Teledyne – Motion sensors and ADCP systems
- McCartney – Provided all the data connectors
Design and Assessment Partners
- AJS Design – Provided structural assessment support and development of the production outputs and part drawings
- Pelagic Innovation – Chief Engineer used to independently verify all the design load cases and guide the design team through the development process using a risk based approach.
- MWaves – Marine Warranty Surveryors and consultancy supporting the QED Naval in the detailed design and independent verification of transit and neutral buoyancy/installation stability analysis.
- Prolines – Marine Warranty Surveryors supporting QED Naval in MCA approval and load line exemptions.
- Offler Marine Services Group – Consultant Master Mariner used to assess the installation and retrieval methods of a utility scale Subhub when deploying 100MW of turbines.
- DNV GL – Have been supporting QED Naval and provided access and contributor rights to the development of their tidal turbine standards. DNV GL design codes have been used throughout the design process.
- ANSYS UK – provided advanced numerical modelling advice, tools and training.
- OCF & Hartree Super Computer Centre – provide access to super-computer capability and advance hardware solutions
- FlowHD & X-Flow – Provided transient simulations of the Subhub/Tocardo tidal plant using the Hartree super-computer
Marine Operations Partners
- DSG – Shipping agents and logistics, stevedore services.
- Cuan Marine – Provides pilotage for operating in Strangford Lough, vessel and crane support, barges for installation/retrieval of the Subhub and storage facilities ashore.
- Ferran and Son’s – Towing and mooring services
- MTS – Marine towing services.
- Inyanga – Vessel chartering and management offshore.
- Flowave – Provided all the 6DOF forces and test tank to assess extreme tidal, wave and combined wave and tidal loads.
- Forth Estuary Engineering – Now Dales Marine operating out of Leith Docks which became our operational centre for a while in 2015-16.
- The Underwater Centre – Provided access to Loch Lihnne and the River Lochy for high flow trials on the Operations model.
- Queens University Belfast – Ongoing support at their tidal test centre in Portaferry